The video I chose from the list when I searched my Interactive Learning Design Subject of Study Habits, and Strategies for Academic Tests, is by the infographics show on the “Scientifically proven best ways to study”.The kind of interaction the video requires from students is interaction with learning materials. By watching the video, they need to visually pay attention to the infographics, and read and/or listen to what is being said. In this case, the interaction is defined as reflective, since there are no overt actions required from simply having to watch the video. Additionally, it should be mentioned that this learning is computer technology managed, that allows interaction between learners and the material, which can indeed include a video. Further, the characteristics of the media interaction here align with that of learner-generated, as the media is a youtube video. The interaction between the learner and watching the youtube video, the learning materials, does not force them to respond in some way, therefore is not inherent. The level of activeness necessary for the learner to interact with the youtube video is not to an extent where one cannot finish the video without doing some form of assessment to demonstrate their knowledge gained before continuing with the learning material. For these reasons, the video requires user generated interactivity with the learning materials, and not inherent activity. 

Students are likely to respond to the video first and foremost by thinking about the topics mentioned, and by taking notes on the key points mentioned in the video. Many of the ideas in the video are personal and relative to each student on an individual basis, such as exercising, getting adequate sleep, taking breaks, or striking a power pose to reduce stress hormones and increase confidence. Students may take it upon themselves to comment on the video, as well as look at comments discussing study habits and tips, as prompted at the end of the video. Aside from these, before students watch the video, I will have handed out a worksheet with prompts to assist them in taking notes, as well as with questions they can reasonably answer while the video plays, in connection with the key ideas. 

After students watched the video, I would suggest that they have a learner-learner interaction by engaging with others through conversation. First, they’d go over the worksheet they had individually filled out to the best of their extent during the video with each other. Then once a certain time frame is reached, I would have students discuss and list 2-3 key points from the video they all agreed upon to be the most important, and an aspect they think should have been considered or mentioned. By talking with peers, students can understand how people interpreted the video differently, and what points they thought were important, widening their perspective of what they deemed as important themselves. As students are pushed to respond and put in an active learning environment, inherent learning is utilized, as well as designed learning, as they do group work. Then, one person from each group would come and write the points on the board. At this point, the class would now be brought back together as a whole, and I as an instructor would go over these key points

After the activity, the worksheets would be collected and graded, based on a correct/false basis for the questions to ensure they were paying attention to the video, and a participation mark for the group work aspect. The students would get feedback on their worksheets, as well as during the next lesson, where I would have a follow up discussion going over key points and takeaways, and some ideas of how to start integrating the study methods and tips into their routines, as it can be overwhelming to do so. I would encourage that they all take the knowledge presented in class and proceed to personalize it, and to consider what they could improve in their own learning environments based on the study habits mentioned in the video. To add a reward based system to this and ensure more students are to actually do this, I would make it known that a bonus mark would be given to anyone who posted their thoughts to the online class discussion forum. 

In terms of the generating activity from the viewers or students, I think the video could have done more. In general, asking more questions or thought provoking thoughts throughout the video could have engage the viewers, as well adding a pause or break in the video where the viewers has to ask themselves a question, and then the video proceeds to the answer. Overall, I think some activities in the video could be included, which would also break up the content and the long length of hearing the person constantly talking. 

In order to address potential barriers for my learners watching this video, and ensure inclusive design, I would first keep subtitles on mainly for those with hearing disabilities, but also for everyone; this adds of component of active learning for students to have the option to read while they listen, and can be of use anyone who has a hard time processing information by listening. I would make a copy of the worksheet available online, so learners could access the resources at their own leisure from any location, as well as submit it online if not present in the in person class. Additionally, I would offer the worksheet in an external setting where there is more support for ELL and accessible learning students. Lastly, I would make an emphasis during the lesson to create opportunities for the class to comfortably ask questions, reach out for assistance in getting on the right track in terms of the task at hand, and express the need for clarity of understanding something.

Bates, A. W. (Tony). (2019). 9.6 Interaction. Pressbooks.bccampus.ca. https://pressbooks.bccampus.ca/teachinginadigitalagev2/chapter/pedagogical-roles-for-text-audio-and-video/

‌The Infographics Show. (2018). Scientifically Proven Best Ways to Study. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJbKXmujI00